3. That is the way we write thumb forward and thumb side, even if it looks a little strange at times, it is a rule and we learn it and accept it.

4. There is one other solution, if the Thumb-Side bothers you. You can construct your own handshape, by taking the plain Flat Hand, and placing a hollow circle on the center of it, to show the thumb projecting towards the reader...That can we read by people, because it follows the rule that individual fingers projecting towards or away from us can be written with dots, but it is not a standard symbol in the ISWA 2010 - you will have to construct it. See below I constructed it in SignPuddle: