Hi Val and sw-list friends,

I followed your explanation about the “M” symbol. Well I agree and almost ever write the M the way you showed to us.

There is another thing I would like to mention. Regarding finger direction and your idea about "Finger Direction is Meaningful:”

I guess it may become a question of habit and style.

Personally I feel uncomfortable with these hand shapes on the diagonal – and for me it is not easier to read – just in contrary.

One reason may be that I concentrate on the palm rather on the fingers ???  But I have to admit that there are signs that obviously violate my intuitive style of  spelling but nevertheless ... I grew up with these signs written the given way and my brain got accustomed to that and now I simply accept them as they are –

Look at the typical way we write the “What”- sign  -- it is easy to read and nothing seems wrong, but if you look at your hands while performing the sign without any force they are much more inward than outward. This is interesting.

Nevertheless it is fun to discuss spellings –

I am preparing some documents to get feedback from my deaf students about horizontal versus vertical writing. You know that at school I ask my students to write the translation directly beneath the signwriting line. So it makes sense to write from left to write. But if it comes down just to rad a story it may be a difference .. I am interested to get more insight ...

Stefan ;-)