Of course, if you are writing from left to right, for example, in some of our older documents, then the two parts to the compound sign can be written side by side - so you will see both choices in different entries in the dictionary, but nonetheless, because we are now writing full sentences down in vertical columns, it feels good to write the compound sign vertically as well ...

No additional symbols are needed...

in some compound signs we actually connect the two signs together with movement arrows showing how the movement is moving between the two signs...but this is not a requirement...just interesting to read...I will try to find you some examples next message...

http://listserv.valenciacc.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L&A=1