SignWriting List
March 3, 2011

I just received this question:

Hello Valerie.

May be you could help me. It's very important for me to find:
1) brief history of SignWriting
2) how
SignWriting is used in USA and other countries

--------

Thank you for this question.

SignWriting History is located here:

SignWriting History
http://www.signwriting.org/library/history/

Start here:

http://www.signwriting.org/library/history/hist001.html

and follow the arrows to the next pages - it goes on for several web pages after that...

Of course, these history pages always need to be updated - but this is a beginning for you -

There are also other links, for example:

Who Uses SignWriting?
http://www.signwriting.org/about/who/

Important to note that SignWriting did not start in the US. It started when I lived in Denmark, to write Danish Sign Language. And SignWriting is used in over 40 countries now, and some countries, like Germany, Nicaragua, Spain and Brazil are very active (and of course other countries too!)... That is why the Who Uses SignWriting link above is so much fun - to read about other countries...

So SignWriting did not start with ASL...and other countries are having a profound influence on SignWriting...

Thank you to everyone for all you do!

SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages

SignPuddle