Great!  I'm glad they're working together on it.  I hope great things come out of the collaboration.

I know I brought this up before but I'm wondering, Stuart, if a concept of relative coordinate systems was discussed in your thesis?   I did a quick scan so I'm not sure if it was.  What I mean by "relative" is a coordinate system that's related to a previous symbol in a sign according to that sign's signspelling sequence.

The coordinate for the first symbol would be in absolute coordinates according to the signbox, then the second symbol would relate to the first symbol according to a coordinate system using a point of the first symbol as the origin.

Doing it that way may allow establishing matrices of symbol pairing in a sign.   I would imagine this to be similar to "kerning" and possibly define distances according to the pairs rotation of not only themselves but to each other.  Similar to what you were saying about establishing minimum distances.

About the overlap of symbols that you mention.  I was wondering if it couldn't also be solved by a matrix of symbol pairing so that a particular matrix value would indicate overlap - say, a value of -1.   On the other hand, do you think it would be possible to create totally different symbols that are overlaps of two symbols?  I ask this as that's what's done in other languages when there's an overlap.  For instance, "æ" which looks like "a" and "e" overlapped but is it's own symbol.  I would hazard a guess that separate symbols are only possible when there's only a few.

Bill