Thanks for the questions. I have been travelling for work so I haven't had a chance to check responses to my email until now. :) I arrive home tonight. I will reply with answers to your questions and other questions in this thread.

Let me say this much and then I'll respond more specifically later. My goal for the thesis was to provide an analysis of the symbols based on the symbols themselves and then look for predictable rules that can help us develop rules that a computer can use to predict placement. Where possible, predicted placement can help us have more predictable spellings and less variations. I did want to talk more in detail about placement issues, but I did not have time because I needed to describe each symbol category in depth first. My last 2 chapters deal with placement questions. The research I was able to do gives me some ideas on how placement could be handled, but I would need more time to develop that.

Thanks,

Stuart