I think we will need to move to a more relative layout strategy. As I mention in the thesis, there is some natural organization of the symbols based on the layout of the body. There is also some natural relationships between symbols such that certain types of symbols only relate to other types of symbols. So, those relationships can also help us in finding ways to organize the symbol relationships in how the layout is encoded.I think that there would be no specific need to mark the location of the first symbol in a sign box. It could be understood to be placed in the center of the sign box. Then everything else is positioned either relative to the previous symbol or relative to the body.There is more detail in the last two chapters that describe some of my preliminary conclusions. At the least, I think we should use polar coordinates rather than cartesian coordinates.

I wrote a computer program to help me do some of the analysis. Due to timing constraints, I didn't tell the computer, "If they have the same location or if the rectangles representing the two symbols overlap, then calculate distances between symbols in a different way." My program just made the assumption that no "outside pixels" of the symbols overlapped or were superimposed upon each other. For a preliminary analysis, this covers most of the symbols, but I knew a more detailed analysis would need to cover superimposed or overlapping symbols. It's just a matter of recognizing the situation and planning different calculations.

Marking the superimposed symbols as -1 would certainly work. Or one could assume that no positioning information implies it is superimposed. In other writing systems, it is my understanding that ligatures (like ) are actually handled as separate symbols in Unicode. I don't know if that would work for SignWriting. For example, for head circles, one option could be to have one head circle symbol + a series of face diacritics. The renderer could then superimpose the face diacritics onto a head circle symbol. Then if it runs out of room, it could add additional head circles and add the remaining face diacritics to those head circles. But that is not the approach that we are currently using. Our current approach of superimposing the various head circles also works, but that approach requires us to think about opacity in the definition of our symbols which is not usually used in most writing systems (to my knowledge).

At this point, we have some time to explore some different approaches. Hopefully, we will find one that will be well-accepted by the Unicode Consortium.