September 23, 2011

Hello SignWriting List, and Ingvild -

Many thanks to Ingvild Roald from Norway, for sending me four folders that contain many old SignWriting files, typed in the SignWriter DOS program over a decade ago. Some are dictionaries. Some are documents. And some are graphics files that were created in a graphics program...but all are written Norwegian signs that need to be added to SignPuddle in the Norwegian SignPuddle:

Norwegian SignPuddle
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/index.html#sgn-NO

This work is a part of this project:

SignWriting Document Preservation Project
http://www.signwriting.org/literature/preservation/

My nephews add the signs one at a time to SignPuddle. Then, after the documents and dictionaries are added, Ingvild will go in and edit the work.

This is a wonderful way for us to build a Sign Language Corpus ... literature and dictionaries from sign languages around the world written in SignWriting...

Think of the thousands of documents and dictionary entries that were written in the 1980s, 1990s, and early 2000s... those deserve to be preserved and read by people on the web too ...

I hope others will send me your old documents for entering too - it is a wonderful project and we appreciate your participation -

SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages

SignPuddle Online
Write SignWriting in the Clouds!