Valerie, Stefan, and others,
Somehow I had gotten onto this page:
http://wpspc20.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/SignWritingEditor2/
which seems to be more of an experimental version.

When I double click on a sign, I get an editor with an on screen keyboard and a little composing box above the sign with the sign in it.  It works similar to SignPuddle, in that signs can be edited in the box.  However, I noticed that it has at least one problem - highlighted glyphs change to another glyph during their highlight, then change back to the proper glyph when not highlighted.

Bill