From: Madson Barreto <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: News handshapes in Brazilian Sign Language (LSB/Libras)
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, November 12, 2011, 12:50 PM

Dear Valerie Sutton and all members of list,

My name is Madson Barreto, I am translator-interpreter of Brazilian Sign Language (LSB/Libras) teen years ago. My wife is deaf, teacher of LSB. I’m student of the course “Letras Libras”, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina. This course explore the Brazilian Sign Language, linguistic and focus on translation and interpretation of LSB for Brazilian Portuguese language. We know the SignWriting two years ago and since then we have researched this wonderful system of writing.

The last year, I created a Group for the Study of SignWriting here in state of Minas Gerais at my university. This group investigates the SignWriting. Our desire is that SignWriting is known for the deaf community because the system records with precise the Sign Languages.Congratulations to you and all researchs for the excellent work and research conducted on behalf of deaf communities around the world.

Please look these pictures of handshapes. Note that for each one these we have a suggestion of writing in others handshapes.

- The picture “1” is the union of 01-01-007 (ISWA code) and 01-06-019;
- The picture “2” rememb me 01-08-018;
- The picture “4” is the union of handshapes 01-01-003 and 01-05-008. It seems with 01-01-003.
- The picture “5” is the union of 01-06-013 [ I ] and 01-10-004 [A]. The handshape “5” is very alike to the 01-06-021 [Y]. Here in Brazil usually use it but it is very seems with 01-06-021 [Y]. I see that many people use it in dactylology (spelling) 01-10-004 for [A] and 01-09-019 for [G]. The handshape 01-06-021 is a different picture of “5”.

We intent include the handshape 1,2,3,4 and 5 them in ISWA and disclose this here in Brazil for use of the 01-09-019 and 01-10-004, stop using 01-09-018 and 01-10-003 because they cause confusion in the writing of handshape “5”.

Eagerly await your reply,
Madson and Raquel Barreto