SignWriting List
November 2, 2011

Thank you, Erika!

It was lovely to have you as a guest and I enjoyed learning to read Nepali Sign Language from your research in Nepal, in the Receptive Viewpoint, during your stay here in January 2010.

During that visit, while working together on Erika's research documents, Erika chose to change from the Receptive Viewpoint to the Expressive Viewpoint, but that was a hard adjustment to make, once you get used to writing one way...

Ironically it was hard for me to try to read a document in the Receptive View, after all these years - Back in the 1980's, Receptive was the norm, and then members of the Deaf Action Committee for SignWriting (DAC) demanded that we change to Expressive and we have never returned to Receptive since - so what was easy before became hard for me to read -

And that is why the one-on-one private seminar was really positive for both Erika and myself - If I had not talked at length with Erika I would not have realized that the Receptive and Expressive would have been an issue -

So if researchers are writing extensively in SignWriting, and would like personal attention to your documents, consider traveling here and working with me - It will be good of all of us and a lot of fun too!

Write to me privately if you are interested -

Val ;-)