You're right, in a way Stefan.  I didn't edit out the symbols enough to remove extra black portions.  I think those may be the white areas of symbols that get converted to black somehow.   They can be deleted easy enough in Inkscape but the person editing needs to know enough to do so.

Apparently, the extraction of the SVG from the PDF didn't handle the white areas correctly.

Bill

On 12/26/2011 6:04 PM, Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Hi Bill,

I could open the attachment.

This is so funny – well there is a dramatic change within the symbols. Obviously this method does not work. ;-(

Stefan

Von: SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Im Auftrag von Bill Reese
Gesendet: Montag, 26. Dezember 2011 20:39
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Re: our graphics quality is excellent

Although ... still can't seem to post svg in the body of an email ...

Let's see if an attachment works ...

Bill

On 12/26/2011 1:32 PM, Bill Reese wrote:

Some people don't have Photoshop so I looked for a another way to work with Stepan's PDF files.

I opened his PDF file of the column in GSview, which runs Ghostscript.  I then chose Edit->convert to vector format->magick driver.  This driver uses GraphicsMagick or ImageMagick to do conversions.  I have GraphicsMagick installed on the Windows XP system I was doing this on.   When naming the output file, I gave it an ".svg" extension, which tells the driver what format I want to convert to.  After conversion, I opened the file in Inkscape and deleted a couple of black boxes obscuring the images and also a black curve in the arrow of the the fourth sign.   Then, like Stefan, I did a little different layout, grouping into signs first, then moving the signs around.

[log in to unmask]" moz-do-not-send="true" height="32" width="32">

Bill