Hi Val,
    your way is similar to mine, but yours is much easier.

    I was wondering how easy it would be to use SVG with OpenOffice or Libre Office.
    I found this add on for them. http://www.haumacher.de/svg-import/
Then when I open an SVG it opens in Draw.

I can ungroup the column and show choose some signs.  Then copy and paste in a text document.

Even when close up the symbols still look really good.

What I don't know is if Microsoft Word will display everything correctly.  See attached.

Jonathan