From: Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:15 PM
Subject: Re: Symbols quotation marks and long pause

SignWriting List
February 15, 2012

I posted this message to the List, but I am not sure it made it to the List - Please excuse if this is a double posting -

Keep asking questions!

Val ;-)

-----------

On Feb 15, 2012, at 8:39 AM, Valerie Sutton wrote:

SignWriting List
February 15, 2012

Hello Madson and everyone -

Thank you for posting this question to the SignWriting List, Madson...

The quotation marks are used sometimes. It depends on the writer, and the style of your document. For example, the quotation marks are easier to read when writing signs horizontally. They are symbols that were designed for horizontal SignWriting and were used years ago in the SignWriter DOS program.

Quoting what another person signs, inside a document, can be written without the Quotation Marks…some writers write the actual sign for "quote" at the beginning of the quoted phrase, and then place a Pause symbol (Comma) at the end of the quoted phrase - If you are writing the way one signs a quoted phrase, that would be the most accurate way to write a quote. In that case, the Quotation Marks are not necessary.

So to answer your question…yes…the Quotation Marks can be used, but are rarely used. That is why I took them out of the International SignWriting Alphabet 2010, but, you can construct them if you want to use them, by finding some diagonal lines in the ISWA and building them yourself…They are still good symbols that can be used.

The Long Pause can also be constructed and can be as long as you want to make it. Make the space between the two lines larger or smaller depending on the length of the pause. The Long Pause is usually used when writing sign language theatre or sign language songs, when pausing can be different lengths related to the timing in music.

Meanwhile, the standard Comma or Pause symbol in SignWriting, with a small amount of space between the two lines, which is pre-constructed for you, is the symbol most people use for writing sentences…

Attached is a screen capture of building a Long Pause in SignPuddle Online, using SignMaker …see attached…

Val ;-)