 From: Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2012 6:07 PM
Subject: Re: Opening the knuckles from the hand, one finger at a time

SignWriting List
March 1, 2012

Hello Madson -

I just wrote the sign for EXPLICAR with the other symbols, in the Brazilian signpuddle too - and both methods of writing are fine with me.

The dot by dot version that I added is so detailed that I can certainly understand why you might feel it is too much detail. But it is accurate.

Your way of writing EXPLICAR below, is simpler and I can read it. I do not know if everyone will notice the fact that you put the symbol near the baby finger area to show that opens first, but it is worth a try!

Maybe the detail of which fingers open first doesn't matter for everyday writing? The idea of a Trill in general is enough information for people who know the language perhaps? I think that is what the Parkhursts were trying to tell me - that our symbols with all the dots are too much information and a simpler symbol is needed perhaps… so I can read both and whatever you feel is best is fine with me - if you want to explain your rule to others go right ahead and tell us what you learn from other writers -

Val ;-)

Hello Valerie, Charles, Stefan and everyone,