SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages <[log in to unmask]>
On 4/18/12 9:32 AM, Ronald Dettloff wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
What are the improvements or changes please?

Hi Ron,

I'm glad you asked.

For the casual observer, things have not changed a lot.  Here is the list of the superficial changes:
1) New Symbol Frequency
-- ISWA 2010 names

2) New Search by Group
-- Recursive search of signs and sign texts

3) Updated spoken language search
-- Terms and Titles, Text, Source, and Puddle Page

4) Horizontal Writing
-- SignMail and ColumnMaker

We can discuss any of these changes if you want.

The more significant changes to SignPuddle 2 are behind the scenes and not obvious in the user interface.  The initial release of SignPuddle 2 is about stabilizing the data and extracting the knowledge.

For SignWriting, I have hand crafted the data format.  In the past, it was difficult to use.  Instead of writing a complicated programming routine, I decided to improve the format.  After I had a new format, I would try to use it.  If the change was an improvement, I've had to convert the SignPuddle data set and continue forward.  This process has repeated several times.

Searching has always been the last piece of the puzzle.  Until SignPuddle 2.0, I could not properly search SignWriting data.  I created a search demonstration within SignPuddle 1.6, but it never fully worked.

The end of last year I designed the final data format.  SignPuddle 2.0 uses that format.  The Modern SignWriting (MSW) document describes the format and the processing available.  The open source project the SignWriting Image Server (SWIS) implements these standards.

I have taken all of the image processing and text processing available in SignPuddle and created MSW and SWIS.  This foundation will allow anyone to easily leverage the SignPuddle data without having to use SignPuddle code.  It takes some technical knowledge to configure a server and leverage the code, but it is a significant base from which to grow.  Installation will get easier as more tools build upon this work.

I am very excited to start work on the new SignMaker and new SignText in jQuery.  It will be fun to hook up the new searching techniques to create a really fantastic user experience.  I'm hoping to integrate the keyboard while still supporting the mouse.

Significant Changes
1) Standards document
-- Ready for review

2) Open Source project that implements the standards
-- Available on GitHub

3) SignPuddle data
-- Available in XML files

Happy Days,