Thanks for the feedback.  I'm thinking hand symbol 27 might actually accurately describe what I've been seeing.  It hadn't caught my eye because I'd been so focused on the idea of the middle being over the index rather than the index being under the middle.  I'll keep asking around to see what's acceptable.  I'll see if I can find a context where one or the other handshape is used, but it seems so far that Sunday and Christian are the only place where these handshapes occur.  Thanks again!
-Ryan

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 4:54 AM, Charles Butler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I would not have chosen 29, but the one below it because it really looks like the second one with the middle finger arched, not wrapped around the index finger. The other looks like the ASL R, two above.

Charles Butler
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

From: Valerie Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, May 3, 2012 11:23 AM

Subject: Re: Egyptian SignPuddle, Question Handshape

SignWriting List
May 3, 2012

Hello Ryan and everyone -
Thank you for these photos. I am happy to tell you that we do have this hand symbol in the ISWA 2010, which is in SignPuddle Online.

You can find the symbol, with a small photo, in the ISWA 2010 Reference Manual online:

Scroll down on this web page:
http://www.signbank.org/iswa/10e_sg.html

There will always be slight differences in the way people's hands look, when doing this position, but this symbol is good enough to represent what you have photographed.

To find this hand symbol in SignPuddle Online, think of it this way…

1. What are the two action fingers? They are the Index Finger and the Middle Finger. That is Group 2 in the ISWA 2010 - Index & MIddle Fingers.

2. In SignPuddle, when you are creating a sign, click on Group 2.

3. Then find the symbol towards the end of Group 2. Here is an attached diagram to help:

Val ;-)