I tried to comment on the TED forum but it wouldn't take my password. So, I'll reply here. I strongly feel you should use SignWriting in your search database. We were working with avatars years ago in Brazil, and the only difficulty I have is that they will not teach actual reading and writing to a Deaf audience. SignWriting will. With an avatar one still has a spoken word or written word database going to a signed language, not a writing system within the actual signed language. This does not build literacy, it builds dependence on essentially an "artificial" videotape. One can build a one-to-one vocabulary list or phrase-to-phrase, but the ongoing narrative of teaching a non-hearing population to be literate in their own language is here getting them to create a videotape assignment, never teaching actual writing and grammar in comparison to other writing and grammar.

Charles Butler
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

From: Mohamed JEMNI <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:50 AM
Subject: My TED 2012 presentation

Dear friends and colleagues,

I would very much appreciate if you could take 10 minutes of your time to view this TED video talk and post a comment about it in the "feedback box".
Few words will be enough. (you need to create a log in).
The team needs some support to take it to the next stage; so please share it with your friends and colleagues:

http://talentsearch.ted.com/video/Mohamed-Jemni-An-avatar-capable;TEDTunis

Thank you,
Mohamed JEMNI
--