On 9/15/12 5:56 AM, MARIA GALEA wrote:
> I am wondering whether to use the term 'symbol' or 'glyph' in my work -

When we talk about the ISWA in general, we use the term symbol. When we
are talking about fonts, we use the term glyph.

Here's an excerpt from Modern SignWriting: section 1.D, Terminology

    Glyphs are concrete representations of the individual symbols. A
    glyph is a graphic image that provides the appearance or form for a
    symbol. Most often, the term glyph will corresponds to an image in a
    font. The glyphs of SignWriting are restricted in size and shape
    with their corresponding symbols.

http://signpuddle.com/wiki/index.php/MSW:Stability#1.D._Terminology

Regards,
-Steve