Hi Adam ...

No problem to understand your idea. – I stumbled over the misspelling of “Wikipedia” ...

Stefan

Von: SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Im Auftrag von Adam Frost
Gesendet: Dienstag, 9. Oktober 2012 19:27
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Re: AW: ASL Wikipedia has a Twitter account ;-)

Yes, I was the one who created the Wikipedia Logo. For the English phrase "Free Encyclopedia" I wrote what is better translated to be "Free Knowledge". This is mainly because there isn't a real standard sign for the word encyclopedia, but also because there has never been an encyclopedia in ASL to constitute how Wikipedia is different from other encyclopedias. So I chose knowledge as an equivalent to the spirit of the phrase.

As for the fingerspelling of Wikipedia, I know that I did it a little different than most have seen in the past. This is because the experience that I have had with writing. W and 6 look very similar in ASL. The circle base could be used for both, and it would be accurate. This is what has been done in the past. However, I have also come to find that a W could also be written with a square base and also be understood, but that would not be acceptable as 6. So I have started writing a W with a square base rather than the circle base. I placed the handshapes of my hand next to the symbols below to show what I meant. I believe that is the only difference that you were talking about. If there are others, let me know and I will be happy to explain why I chose the way of writing that I did. :-)

Adam