Hi Adam and friends,

well it should be not a big problem to imagine a person „pronouncing“ a word that starts with the letter „m“  -

If the person opens the mouth in order to go forward with an open “A” ....

Obviously my students have no problem whatsoever to associate these defined SW-facial-mouth-symbols with a typical mouthmovemen that goes along with pronouncing a word – without a need to hear any sound.

So what I did was to define a given set of symbols that would allow you to lipread ... in order to minimize the guessing game . ..

In the beginning of my time as a SignWriting scribe (years ago..;-)) ) I almost came to the point to give up. My students and me had to accept that we were not able to understand/read/translate  our SW-DOS-documents a few days later after we had written  them. And it took some time to understand the reason. At that time we have had almost emotional and heated debates about this issue. Is it political correct to accept that some signers – include Mundbilder – while they perform SL- ???

I am not interested in this discussion. I looked at hundreds of SL-videos and looked very carefully waht deaf signers do when they sign.

And of course you have simply to learn some of the meanings of these defined Mundbild-symbols. But once you find your way to understand they are a big support.

I am happy to see that Fernando Capovilla took advantage out of this idea...

O capítulo 26 intitula-se Recursos metalinguísticos na educação bilíngue

Libras-Português do surdo: Como ler-escrever a articulação visível dos sinais de

Libras via SignWriting e a das palavras faladas do Português via SpeechWriting

promovendo leitura orofacial e leitura-escrita alfabéticas, e é de autoria de

Fernando C. Capovilla, Valerie Sutton, e Stefan Wöhrmann. O capítulo apresenta

os dois sistemas de escrita: o de sinais SignWriting (Capovilla & Sutton, 2009) e o

da fala SpeechWriting (Capovilla, Sutton, & Wöhmann, 2012). Classifica esses

sistemas como tipos de alfabeto de traços não arbitrários (featural alphabet, cf.

Geoffrey Sampson, 1990), ou seja, alfabeto em que as formas das letras não são

arbitrárias, mas representam traços fonológicos dos fonemas que representam.

Argumenta que SignWriting e SpeechWriting são semelhantes ao Alfabeto Fonético

Internacional (AFI): Assim como o AFI permite tra...

http://www.ip.usp.br/lance/Livros/transtornos2/Apres_TRANSTORNOS_260_fim_2.pdf

All best

Stefan