Ups... I've done a mistake in Paris...

2013/3/29 Claudia S. Bianchini <[log in to unmask]>
Hello... here are my cities:
Rome: where I was born
Perugia: where was my university
Modena: where I live when I'm not working
Paris: where I've done my PhD
Poitiers: where I work at university

2013/3/29 KJ Boal <[log in to unmask]>

I have a few here:

Red Deer (where I currently live):

Which is in the province of Alberta:

Edmonton, the capital of my province and the city where I was born:

Leduc, where I really grew up; the city is near an international airport, so the sign looks like an airplane taking off:

Calgary, the other major city in my province, technically has two possible signs. This is the old one, which isn’t used any more – and there’s a story behind that!

This sign refers to spurs on cowboy boots, because Calgary’s biggest claim to fame is the internationally-renowned rodeo called the Calgary Stampede. However, Edmonton and Calgary have a MAJOR rivalry – if you’re from one city, you’re expected to hate everything about the other!  In the spirit of that rivalry, the Edmontonian Deaf began joking that the sign was really related to the sign for “garbage” and the Calgary was “garbage”. The Calgarian Deaf, offended, decided to change the sign.

This is what they changed it to:

Personally, I’m sorry they changed it! The original sign had more character, in my opinion. But I don’t subscribe to the rivalry between the cities . . . much. (smile) Anyway, hope that’s not too many signs all at once!

KJ