I can see the pictures fine, and yes, you could substitute the square base, it would be closer to how I sign it, personally; hand more like a fist than like an open circle.

cherie

From: maria galea <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, June 8, 2013 10:22 PM
Subject: Question for ASL SignWriters..

Dear friends,
,
I located these two signs from the ASL Literatuer Puddle
and

I'm sorry i have no idea what these signs mean, since I don't sign ASL - however from context I kinda assume the first means READ the second something like KNOWN-AS-IN-ENGLISH /QUOTE- however my question doesn't concern their meaning as such. My question is this:
Can these two signs still be read if you change the handshape to thjs handshape instead:   (naturally with the rotation needed for the first sign)

Really appreciate your feedback!

THANK you!! :)
maria