 all entries are listed and mixed together..and i was thinking wouldn't it be more user-friendly if you could search by folders of people who input entries..something like how we keep files and folders in windows..
just a thought.
maria

On 3 July 2013 17:00, Charles Butler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I like that. It lets people know what this classifier is for and can cross-reference to other terms in a lexicon. If I show the sign "accident" in ASL I am using a classifier, but I can also show the sign "park the car" with the same classifier and use the same handshape as the number "3" not as the "classifier-3". Defining terms is always a part of the linguistic historian's presentations.

Charles Butler
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

From: Cherie Wren <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, July 3, 2013 10:47 AM

Subject: Re: SignPuddle database design options

Classifiers have multiple functions.  Some describe somethings movement-- acting as a verb;  Some describe an objects size or shape-- acting as an adjective;  some describe location-- acting as a preposition; some describe the manner of movement-- acting as an adverb; they can show path of movement/direction/speed, they can show orientation in space, they can show number or quantity,.....  and I'm sure there are many i am missing.  They are not unique to signed languages, but they are much more used and integral in signed languages.  I think they need a category, and perhaps a space to add more information, such as 'locative' or 'size and shape specifier'

cherie