SignWriting List
September 20, 2013

Hi Jonathan and Stefan -
The Heel of Hand symbols are really a combination of the two planes…They represent hands that are always parallel with the Floor. They are not Top View, because you are looking at the Heel of your Hand, which although is sort of Front View, it is not really the "full" Front View - so I think changing the way we describe the symbols in the English language will be an improvement…I like this change very much: Heel View …which has its own rules that are not the same as Front View or Top View - and this means that I need to change our textbooks with the new terminology.

But I will not be changing the symbols themselves. The ISWA 2010 must remain the same so we can have stable software.

The Heel of Hand symbols are successfully used here to write certain signs in ASL and have solved some problems that we could not solve from the Top View - so we are quite dependent on them and Jonathan, your searching techniques in your SignWriter Studio software will be welcome.

Adam told me today that he is concerned to fill in the gaps in the lines in the Heel view with the concern that it could be confused with other symbols - we will need to investigate that further, but when symbols are working so well for us, there is no reason to change them…and since it has taken years to change your software, Jonathan, from the ISWA 2008 to the ISWA 2010, you can see why I am not anxious to change the ISWA 2010 right now...

Meanwhile, since there are other ways to write the same positions, and since perhaps they are not as needed when writing other sign languages, I think changing the terminology in our books will be enough to explain the differences -

Thank you for bringing this up, and I will try to change our terminology in the textbooks as soon as I can -

Val ;-)

--------