This is the difference between fingerspelling and lexicalized fingerspelling in ASL. :-) I was having a discussion with one of my co-workers about this exact situation last week. Words like BUZZ, JAZZ, and PIZZA are commonly spelled words and don't have a common sign for themselves. This is where the "double Z" would come into play. But words like BLIZZARD and DAZZLE are not commonly spelled words in ASL, so they would be best understood by doing two regular Z's when fingerspelling.

Anyways… I digress. :-) When doing actual fingerspelling, this feature is great! When doing lexicalized fingerspelling, it helps a lot because I am sure that it was easier to start out with "JAZ" and then change the handshape to make it a double Z rather than doing it all from scratch. :-)

Adam