Hi Steve,  I’m going to cut and paste your email a bit here.

Regarding the morphology details, these can be enabled or disabled on a per puddle basis.  So Stefan, if you didn't want this in the German Sign Language dictionary and others agreed, we would not enable this feature for you to use.
That sounds like a good/perfect solution to enable or disable the feature as people want.  And even if most people voted to have the feature in that puddle, that still doesn’t force anyone to fill in the info.

1) a simple set of choices that allow multiple choices, so that I could select for example classifier AND compound. An initial list:

Classifier, compound, fingerspelling – one handed, fingerspelling – two handed, fingerspelled loan sign, character sign, assimilated compound, compound, negative incorporation, clitic, affix, initialized sign, phrase, inflected verb, uninflected verb, locational verb, noun-verb pair, repeating or non-repeating signs, numbers, gestural, pantomimic, iconic. Classifiers are subdivided in many ways by different linguists, so some linguists might want to add to the list of classifiers – for example, classifiers for handling objects vs. motion vs. drawing-in-the-air and so on.

Would a alphabetically sorted multi-select list work?  Instead of one gigantic list, we may want several smaller multi-select lists.

Smaller multi-select lists would probably be better!

2) a second set of choices specifying number of morphemes that defaults to 1 and allows numeric write-ins plus the choices innumerable, uncertain, and many,

I can understand the utility for the number of morphemes, but I'd like to discuss the other choices list.

"Numbering of morphemes" list
--------------------------
* innumerable - This is a weird concept when considering a written sign.  Is there a spoken language equivalent?

I don’t think there is a spoken language equivalent.  This possibility comes up when looking at classifiers.  For example, consider a classifier for a vehicle. Suppose that you wanted to show just where the car was dented in a recent accident.  You could circle with your finger on almost any place on the hand to show the dent.  Should each place qualify as a separate morpheme?  I would probably say no, but under some theories, you might be forced to claim that each place is a separate morpheme, and since you can’t really say how many such places there are, you would have to list this as having innumerable morphemes.

* uncertain - What does this choice mean?  If a specific answer is impossible or unknown for the number of morphemes, is there a range instead?  Are there any spoken language equivalents?

A spoken language equivalent for uncertain is when you have parts of a word that people no longer clearly recognize as having separate morphemes.  For example, most people now don’t really think of “ruthless” as having two morphemes – ruth and less. For them this is a one morpheme word, but for some people this is a two morpheme word.  So in terms of the language in general, you might want to say this is “uncertain”.  In sign languages, some people still recognize WOMAN as being GIRL + FINE, but most people think of it as one morpheme.  So again, “uncertain” might be a good choice.

* many - How is this different than innumerable? If we can number the morphemes, why not use the actual number?

This might occur again in classifiers.  Even if your theory rejects the idea of innumerable morphemes, you might want to say that a classifier has many morphemes.  Suppose we have something showing a car moving up a hill, hitting another car, and then overturning.  The possible morphemes could include:  the directions, orientations, motions, handshapes and locations for each hand.  That can add up pretty fast, and you might just want to say many, without claiming innumerable.  However, a choice such as “many or innumerable” is probably adequate.

3) a fixed choice set for either simultaneous or sequential,

Is this always an either/or choice?  Could a complex sign fulfill both choices?

Good question.  I cant think of an example off the top of my head, but you are probably right that it is at least possible.  So maybe four choices: simultaneous, sequential, mixed, and unknown/unclear would be better.

Rachel