Morphology in my mind, and off the top of my head, would mean things like classifiers, fingerspelling, initialized signs and compounds.  It is not the same thing as part of speech, because for example, an initialized sign might be a noun or a verb or a preposition.  In some cases, part of speech might be unclear (is this sign a verb or an adjective?) but its morphological status as classifier might be pretty clear.

Rachel

From: SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Valerie Sutton
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:40 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Design for SignPuddle 3: parts-of-speech and morphology of sign language

SignWriting List

December 11, 2013

Hello Steve and everyone on the SignWriting List ;-)

I bet many people, if you ask them, “are you behind on anything?” would answer “YES!” -

So you have taken on so many projects, and I want to thank you, Steve, and thanks to all of you, for all you have accomplished in 2013…It has been a remarkable year.

Regarding “morphologies of sign languages” … what do you all think? Is that a category necessary for searching SignPuddle 3.0, which will be coming in 2014?

Would you all use that searching technique?

Val ;-)