I'm not sure which project you are refering too but no this is a new personal project.
I was adding the period, comma etc to my personal dictionary to do gloss to sign in SignWriter Studio then I though I might as well add all of them even though I usually only write commands and periods too.  Then only found four symbols and was wondering about the question mark.

Jonathan
On 3/22/2014 7:37 AM, Cherie Wren wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Except for pause/timing marks  --commas and periods--  I don't use much punctuation.  Questions are shown on the face.  Putting in a question mark would be redundant.  They are necessary in English because the vocal inflection cannot be written.

Is this still for that project that I never did understand?

cherie

From: Jonathan Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2014 9:22 AM
Subject: Question mark question

Hi all,
    I was wondering about question marks in Signwriting.

I found this

http://www.signwriting.org/forums/research/rese025.html

Any word written in SignWriting has the face, or shoulder bar on top (if necessary) and the handshape(s) around the face or shoulder bar. General movements are below the handshape(s) , but finger movements are indicated by the fingers of the handshape(s) and head movements are indicated by the face symbol . A sign dictionary written in SignWriting looks up lexical items based on the ten groups of handshapes, then on the movements, also broken down into groups, then facial expressions, then head and body positions as demonstrated in Appendix G.

Two questionable SignWriting practices involve punctuation and the writing of fingerspelled words. Punctuation in SignWriting makes use of bars. One vertical, slightly thick bar placed after a sign indicates a period. Two thin vertical bars indicate a pause or comma , and two thin vertical bars slightly further apart indicate a longer pause or semi-colon . Two bars next to each other, one thin and the other thick indicate a question mark . Two thick bars indicate a colon . Parentheses and quotes look similar to the punctuation marks used in English. All of the punctuation marks used in SignWriting can be the same as those used to write English: . , ; ? : ( ).
[log in to unmask]" align="BOTTOM" border="0" height="235" width="281">

There is no reason for SignWriting to adopt unique punctuation marks for American Sign Language and it does not take away from the writing of SignWriting to use English punctuation marks. Furthermore, when a signer fingerspells an English word in ASL, SignWriting uses the appropriate handshape symbol to write the letters in the English word. This is also possibly a convention that could be changed. Writing SignWriting by hand, one would probably write the fingerspelled word in English letters instead of writing the handshapes for each of the letters...*Footnote 15...

It describes a question mark as "Two bars next to each other, one thin and the other thick indicate a question mark" but that description fits the Semi-Colon.  And in the example above it there seems to the semi-colon symbol after the questions.
[log in to unmask]" alt="">.

So is the symbol for the semi-colon the same as the question mark?
--
[log in to unmask]" alt="">
email: [log in to unmask]

SignWriter Studio