André

De : Cherie Wren <[log in to unmask]>
Répondre à : "SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages" <[log in to unmask]>
Date : Sat, 08 Mar 2014 06:32:48 -0800
À : <[log in to unmask]>
Objet : Re: How do you write down SW symbolsŠ

Just to throw my hat in the ring with the others who have responded...  I suppose it depends on your individual signed language.  In ASL there is a sign for quote, but it isn't used to show that this person is saying something to that person.  That is all done by body shifting and "constructed action"  which in the old days would be called mime.  However if I am teaching my student about english, and I need him to understand that in written english we use comma quote my name is cherie period quote.  I would use one left hand half of the sign quote at the beginning of the quoted part, and one right handed one at the end.  I would sign comma and period.  That is how I would write it too, if my goal is to teach it to my student. If I am writing a story that included conversation, I would sign it like I sign it in ASL.

cherie