On 5/30/2014 7:36 PM, Stephen E Slevinski Jr wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
On 5/30/14, 5:46 PM, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Hello list,
    One of the users of SignWriter Studio pointed out to me that some symbols are repeated.

There are 2 reasons that symbols with the same meaning will repeat.  The first is due to completion of rows and columns (symbol key validity).  The second is due to variation compatibility.

1) Symbols repeat for the completion of rows and columns.  Because of column 2, row 5 is valid.  Because row 5 is valid, all valid columns must have a symbol in that row.

Hi Steve,
Yes this makes sense,  we want the first to be horizontal, second right diagonal upwards,etc.  The valid rotations are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 so there has to be something there even though it doesn't bring anything meaningful to the alfabet.   Maybe instead of trying to make each base symbol and complete rectangle of fills and rotations (or matrix) of symbol but rather just have table with the ones that are valid.  We have to look up the valid fills and valid rotations per base symbol anyways.  So I'm not seing the advantage here.  The last four in the first column here ISWA2010 could map to the first 4 in ISWA2020 as would the first four.  Correct me if I missed something here.
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

2) Variation compatibility. The symbol grid below has a variation.  The variation (04-01-010-02) uses all 16 rotations, so it requires that (04-01-010-01) has all 16 rotations as well.
Same comment as above.

Thanks
Jonathan
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

So I want to ask you on the list what you think about removing them or leaving them in ISWA2020 when the ISWA symbols are updated.

For the ISWA 2010, these repeated symbols are valid and will stay in the set.

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
And if I where to show only one in SignWriter Studio when creating signs, which should I show.  I am thinking leaving the first one.

That would be fine, however you may encounter data that contains the symbols you do not show.

Regards,
-Steve

email: [log in to unmask]
Cel Honduras: (504)3141-1171