 From: Ingvild Roald <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 6:18 PM
Subject: Re: Ordering Signs in Dictionaries

Hi all,

My undestanding at the moment is that a dictionary should be ordered by

1) the sign spelling sequence

2) inside this sequence, the ordering should be done by a system agreed upon by all.

This would be something like (but much more complex than) a sequence inside a roman alphabeth where different diacritics should follow in a special odrer.

I think that the spelling sequence, which is based on the the timing inside a sign, is important and natural.

The order in which the symbols are written, on the other hand, is not important and may differ widely from scribe to scribe. The sign is not written until it is finished, the symbols may be adjusted many times before that. Therefore it is very hard to automate the spelling sequencing at this moment. Maybe in anothe forty years?

Ingvild

Sendt fra min iPad