August 16, 2014

Yes, I agree Charles. We need and welcome all of these opportunities for communication…I am glad the feedback you are getting is helpful. Half of the people who presented at the Symposium... I didn’t know in person beforehand - this means a lot that I got to know them - got to meet them face to face and laugh together at the technology problems and I feel so much closer to everyone now - I feel very strongly that meeting in person online has value as well as more professionally pre-rehearsed and pre-taped videos - it is all good and can be inter-blended - Val ;-)

On Aug 16, 2014, at 1:18 PM, Charles Butler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I understand the need for accuracy and pre-determined texts, but I also like the feel of a live symposium with perhaps a deliberate Q&A gathered at the end, or perhaps a split session, a pre-recorded session and then a live discussion about the presentation with Q&A gathered in advance.

I have found the feedback on my presentation on ordering dictionaries most helpful though I am not able to implement many of them so quickly.

Charles Butler
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

From: André L <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2014 3:58 PM
Subject: SignWriting Symposium alternatives

Hello,

My main interest is to have access to as much projects, papers, software and material as possible.  I see the symposium as a mean to develop momentum, not as a finality.  We could have continuous sharing of material with or without the symposium.

I think that pre-recorded video presentations are simpler.  Each individual turns on the camera and records with Windows movie maker and then submits the video to a pre-determined address.  The text is also prepared in advance.  Because the video is not interactive, the text is accurate.  It is simpler to translate because it is already written and pre-determined.

<MovieMaker.png>

There could be a discussion added after the display of the video.
It would be like people having a vlog on youtube.  In a shared account, several people could contribute.

A permanent drop box account would receive documents throughout the year.  Such documents would be reviewed and moved to a read only dopbox available to all throughout the year.   This would be simpler than updating signwriting.org web pages.
The dropbox could have several folders: draft, submitted, approved, translated...  each divides in categories.

I am concerned that if software developer focus on the symposium tool; it may delay other signwriting projects.  it depends on how big this project is...

André Lemyre

Join, Leave or Change How You Receive SW List Messages http://listserv.valenciacollege.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L&A=1