Hi Val,

On 8/21/2014 10:20 AM, Valerie Sutton wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
That is why it is important to realize that there is not one theory on the SignSpelling Sequences. My SignSyllables seem to be working, but within the SignSyllables there are choices that are hard to make - not every sign is easy.

That is why we have a flexible SignSpelling Column to begin with, and why the writer has to take the time to put in their theory on SignSpelling Sequences…
Yes I remember you and Charles talking back in forth about having different SignSpelling Sequences.  I am keeping the SignSpelling flexible like in SignPuddle.  What will be different with this is that we will be trying charles, SignSpelling Sequence and possibly change the sorting of some symbols within the ISWA2010 if needed.

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Because in SignBank I learned that my theories were originally not right for me…that I could not look up a sign by Location easily - that looking up by handshape was necessary - I did not learn that automatically - it took many years of trial and error -

So there is no such thing as the 100 per cent “correct” sequence - there will be norms and there will be dictionaries sorted under one editor’s theories -

So the Private Web Puddle, which is what we are talking about for Charles, will only give you one theory on sorting - and there is a good chance that Charles, like all writers, and especially me, may change his mind on his own theories -
Charles theory on sorting is feels right to me.  So I want to explore it and maybe we will change some things down the way if we see that some things can be improved or go back if it isn't better.   I am getting SignWriter Studio to do normal sorting like SignPuddle does but with the flexiblity for the above mentioned if needed.
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Let me tell you what I learned -

The only way to really know if a SignSpelling theory seemed to be working, was to have at least 3000 signs - you need a lot of signs sorted the same way. Because you need many examples including unusual signs and they don’t come up until you have a larger dictionary.

Once you have your 3000 signs, you need to print them in PDF, and hand the printed document to a signer or two, and preferably to a classroom of sign language students and ask them to find a certain sign. Watch them try to find it - try to “look it up” in a thick document - I have not tested it enough myself…each theory has to be tested…and it can only be tested on large numbers of signs…
Well it's a good thing that we have the Sign Puddles with so many signs.  3000 is a lot of signs to SignSpell especially if we decide to change a theory on the spelling.

Thank you for sharing your experience.  If we don't succeed on the first theory, we will know that it is normal.
Thanks

Jonathan
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

More soon -