Hi Val and List,
    I want to share what I think could be a positive move forward with the ISWA fonts.

    Currently there is one for use with the graphite engine developped by Eduardo Trápani.   It works mainly with Firefox and seems to be mainly intended for web. Graphite is a special rendering system that enhances TrueType Fonts with special rules to support complex scripts. Wikipedia says that: "It allows for a variety of rendering rules, including ligatures, glyph substitution, glyph insertion, glyph rearrangement, anchoring diacritics, kerning, and justification." But was never intented to do x,y coordinate positioning like we need for SignWriting, but Eduardo did manage to get it to work.

    Often times when we hear of TTF we think on the fonts we use in our text editors, and although the font created by Eduardo is that kind of font, it still needs the Graphite engine to render it. Only a few programs support the Graphite engine.  So if the bugs get sorted out it will mostly be used in the SignWriting community in the Mozilla FireFox browser.

    I think that a better option is to us modern web fonts along with specialized CSS, and javascript to render the font.  Font makers such as http://fontcustom.com/ and https://icomoon.io/ create several type of fonts so that it can be compatible with most browers.  For example creating a font with https://icomoon.io/ would create a "
Web Open Font Format", "Embedded OpenType", "TrueType", and an SVG font.  They are fallback fonts.  If a web page can't use one type of font it will try the next.  They also work with PUA unicode area as does Eduardo's TTF font.

     A popular example of the icon font called font awesome http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/examples/

Currently they only display the font in one color only.  So we would have to save each shape in font and use CSS and javascript to overlay two characters one for each shape on top of each other to get a two color font we need for SignWriting.
    It would be some work to make the font and the CSS and Javascript but should be smaller than current fonts, be client side, compatible with all modern broswers, not need Graphite, not have the same origin shortcoming as my previous fonts had (once the font is downloaded to the browser cache, it should work in all web sites that use it without have to fetch it for each website.
So combining the work Steve Slevinski did for FSW or Unicode to show as SignWriting on a web page, Eduardo work with TTF and my work the refactorized font for the part, I think this would be the most promising direction for SignWriting fonts on the web.

The first step would be to put together a proof of concept and see if we run into any unexpected problems.  Then work through creating the font file and the CSS Javascript for 1 base symbol  for each category.  Then implementing the whole font.

If anybody has any questions or comments, please feel free.

Regards,
Jonathan

--

email: [log in to unmask]