I don't understand why is a 2-color font is necessary...

A few issues on using a font to supply the symbols on Incubator:
1. Having the colors inherited directly from the font color would solve
some issues on the Incubator, such as getting the :visited colors to work,
and getting past the heavy MutationObservers monitoring style changes.
2. If the symbols themselves are actual simple text nodes in the document,
wouldn't this interfere with copy-pasting signs?
3. Is there an existing way to convert FSW straight to the Unicode symbols?
4. 2-6 MB is rather large. The largest page currently on the ASL Incubator
project loads approximately 1.3MB of images from SWIS. Would this actually
generally save bandwidth?