Hi Steve,

On 9/3/2014 11:21 AM, Stephen E Slevinski Jr wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> A promising emerging technology is being developed called "SVG glyphs
> for OpenType fonts".  This will include colored and/or animated glyphs
> in OpenType fonts.
> http://www.w3.org/community/svgopentype/
     It project seems to be at proposal stage since November 2013.
     It was supposed to be discussed in January 2014 but haven't found
anything more about it
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2013OctDec/0020.html)

     The only two examples I found only work in FireFox not in Chrome
     https://people.mozilla.org/~jkew/opentype-svg/GeckoEmoji.html
     https://people.mozilla.org/~jkew/opentype-svg/soccer.html

So this might still be a technology of the future.

On the page there is a link to
http://manufacturaindependente.com/colorfont/ and
http://manufacturaindependente.com/colorfont/workshop-lgm2012.html which
might be quite useful for us too and works in other browsers beside
FireFox.  We would need to implement a colorfont to work with the
javascript.

> In theory, we can load the ISWA 2010 symbols as a 2-color font using
> the above specification.  The resulting font file will not handle the
> 2-dimensional placement, but it will be able to be installed on the
> client side.  The resulting font would support the entire symbol set
> of the ISWA 2010.
My previous post about web fonts, is similar but I had thought of doing
the two color overlaying in CSS in a style sheet instead of the in the font.

> In theory, we could load the current symbol SVGs into a font that
> would support the Unicode specification being published next year. The
> resulting file would be 2 to 6 MB.
>
> If this worked, it would be a viable alternative to an image server
> for SignWriting.  The 2-dimensional placement of symbols would be
> handled with HTML and CSS on the client side.
That would be great!
Regards,
     Jonathan

> In particular, the Incubator project would need to be rewritten to
> position the individual symbols rather than request a completed sign,
> but it would save a lot of bandwidth because we wouldn't need to
> download the SVGs for each new signs.
>
> Regards,
> -Steve

> Valerie Sutton