Hi Steve,

On 9/3/2014 11:21 AM, Stephen E Slevinski Jr wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">Hi Jonathan,

A promising emerging technology is being developed called "SVG glyphs for OpenType fonts".  This will include colored and/or animated glyphs in OpenType fonts.
http://www.w3.org/community/svgopentype/
    It project seems to be at proposal stage since November 2013.
    It was supposed to be discussed in January 2014 but haven't found anything more about it (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2013OctDec/0020.html)

    The only two examples I found only work in FireFox not in Chrome
    https://people.mozilla.org/~jkew/opentype-svg/GeckoEmoji.html
    https://people.mozilla.org/~jkew/opentype-svg/soccer.html

So this might still be a technology of the future.

On the page there is a link to http://manufacturaindependente.com/colorfont/ and http://manufacturaindependente.com/colorfont/workshop-lgm2012.html which might be quite useful for us too and works in other browsers beside FireFox.  We would need to implement a colorfont to work with the javascript.

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">In theory, we can load the ISWA 2010 symbols as a 2-color font using the above specification.  The resulting font file will not handle the 2-dimensional placement, but it will be able to be installed on the client side.  The resulting font would support the entire symbol set of the ISWA 2010.
My previous post about web fonts, is similar but I had thought of doing the two color overlaying in CSS in a style sheet instead of the in the font.
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
In theory, we could load the current symbol SVGs into a font that would support the Unicode specification being published next year. The resulting file would be 2 to 6 MB.

If this worked, it would be a viable alternative to an image server for SignWriting.  The 2-dimensional placement of symbols would be handled with HTML and CSS on the client side.
That would be great!
Regards,
    Jonathan
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
In particular, the Incubator project would need to be rewritten to position the individual symbols rather than request a completed sign, but it would save a lot of bandwidth because we wouldn't need to download the SVGs for each new signs.

Regards,
-Steve

email: [log in to unmask]
Cel Honduras: (504)3141-1171