Hi Valerie
sorry for my "disappearance" after the symposium but I had a lot of work (and even a little vacation without internet, which is always good :-) )
In the proceedings, the important things are:
- the pages must be numbered (when an article is cited, they always say in what page of the book is located)
- the names of the authors and their institutions must be written beside (above, below ...) the title of each chapter / contribution that authors send you
- That the book must have an ISBN
I would say that the basics are these.
Then, of course, is better than the presentation of the book is homogeneous (ie, that all write using the same format) ... Usually what is done is that it provides a "style sheet", which tells you exactly which font and which font size to use, how to put the margin, where you write the title ... and especially how to write a bibliography.
Some journals give a file "model for word" that allows everyone to write with the exact same format ... For example, here's what De Gruyter, a large scientific publisher: http://www.degruyter.com/dg/page/207/stylesheet
:-)
Claudia

Claudia S. Bianchini, PhD
MCF Licence SDL-LSF, Univ. Poitiers
Laboratoire EA3816-FoReLL
Université de Poitiers - UFR Lettres et Langues (Bât. A3)
1 rue Raymond CANTEL - TSA 11102
86073 POITIERS CEDEX 9

I agree with Erika!

Personally I would prefer not to include the presentation text itself in the book. I'll take a look for some nice looking proceedings...