Dear Val,
you are a great organizer indeed!

Maria

September 16, 2014

Hello Maria -
The ISBN’s under our organization, the Center for Sutton Movement Writing, SignWriting Press, were established back in the 1970’s and are free for us…we calculate them according to a certain calculator that was given to us by the R.R. Bowker company years ago…They all start with:

978-0-914336

and then an ending three numbers are attached…we have around 40 titles with ISBNs using this old system of calculation…

We print our own barcodes too, for scanning the book by bookstores. You can see our barcodes at the back of our books…like this one:

http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs9/sw0821_SignWriting_Basics_Instruction_Manual_Sutton.pdf

But I do not know about the DOI - thank you for telling me about this -

Val ;-)