On 10/24/14, 6:44 PM, André L wrote:
> Hello Steve,
> I would like to know if this font can be used in Microsoft word or pdf
> files.
> Thanks

Hi André Lemyre,

In theory, yes.  The font can be used in any application, even MS
Paint.  I just tried it and it worked.

In practice, there are 2 problems: alignment and data entry.  For the
first problem, I specially crafted the font to support my work in 2
dimensions.  This has caused a few weird issues when you try to use the
font with normal text in one dimension.  I was going to try to address
some of these issues next week, but they are not my main concern.  I
will fix what I can.

For the second problem, the data entry can be problematic.  The easiest
way is to copy and paste the symbols from somewhere else. To complicate
the matter, there are 4 different character representations that can be
used with the symbols.  The first 3 representations require ligatures to
be enabled, an advanced typography setting not enabled by default in
Word.  Examples of the first 3 representations include the symbol keys
(6 characters per symbol), Unicode 8 (1 to 3 characters per symbol), and
Unicode PUA plane 15 (3 characters per symbol).

If ligatures are supported, the easiest way to add a symbol glyph is to
type the symbol key, such as "S10000".  Then select the entire symbol
key and change the font to "SignWriting 2010" from the font selection
dropdown.  This works in my email application "Thunderbird".  Here's
what it looks like: S10000  If you can see the symbol image, you have
the font installed and ligatures are enabled.

However, ligatures can be an issue in some places, so I revisited a
previous design to create a fourth representation on Unicode PUA plane
16 which uses 1 character per symbol.  An example character would look
like U+100001.  This is what I used for MS Paint with copy and paste.
Here's a character without a font set: 􀀁.  Here's the character with
the font set: 􀀁.

I will continue to work through these issues and hopefully come up with
some easy to use and easy to understand practical applications.

On 10/24/14, 6:44 PM, André L wrote:
> I like the matrix example.
Thanks Andre,  I like it too.  I was very excited the first time I saw
it working.  I still enjoy watching it.

Regards,
-Steve