Hi Valerie and SW-friends around the world,

I would like to ask for your precious time to discuss the following issue:

Well Valerie it has happened a  long time ago that you invented your first symbols that should represent the 5 – fingers hand , the fist or the claw hand ....

Diving into the art of TT-Font design years ago I looked very very carefully at the design and especially at the proportions of head to flat-hand to fist, to the lenght of a index finger  etc... ....I remember that we discussed special concepts as the “thick line of the “I-hand”, the small height of the B-hand compared to the flat hand etc.... and I learned a lot from your lesson about the Rootshapes and Action Fingers...

http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs7/sw0646_Constructing_New_SignWriting_Hand_Symbols_2011.pdf

From time to time there is a new episode here in Germany that someone who gets in contact with SignWriting develops some ideas about how to improve the visual concepts of the symbols that are to be found in the SymbolSet of the actual SignPuddle –

Well if it comes to brush up the design and to polish every single symbol so that the lines are of equal width ... I do not have any problem with that. Some of you are familiar with my TT-Font designs on my greeting cards ..and ... materials ..for my classroom

Attached you find an example of artwork for my Mathematics Education (1 time 7) –smile

. I am not talking about this kind of design.

I am interested in your feedback. Are there other experienced SignWriting-scribes and readers among you who look at the design of the hand symbols as they are used now and who would whish to change that in order to achieve a more visual / more naturalistic looking symbol compared to a drawn hand?

Does anybody believe that part of the reason why it takes time to encourage/convince more teachers of deaf students and more deaf signlanguage instructors to use SignWriting within their classes is connected to the design of the actual used series of symbols?  So in the end a more naturalistic looking symbolset would attract more deaf signlanguage instructors?

Well I remember my printouts of the SignWriter DOS programm at large seize  1999... compared to the TT-font that are possible today with SignPuddle and the delegs Editor if you expand the Pdf –document what an amazing achievement!

Does it happen in your  country as well that new designers show up and present new sets of symbol-designs that might hurt rules and conventions we agree upon for years? Would it make sense to present two different designs of a given hand to people who are not familiar with SignWriting and ask for their preference?

I would appreciate very much if many of you and especially of the SignPuddle dictionary editors could give – even short – comments on this topic.

If you are interested I would be able to present some of these “new designed symbols” so that we could discuss the pros and cons in the context of special examples ...

Take care and good luck with all your different projects

All best

Stefan