On 11/9/2014 7:06 PM, Valerie Sutton wrote:
> SignWriting List
> November 9, 2014
>
> Second, the symbols of the ISWA 2010, which will be displayed through
> Unicode version 8 in mid-2015, originated from writing by hand, as you
> know, so although the symbols are processed by computer now, there are
> still people, and there will always be people, who write by hand.
>
> So here is my question to the developers of life-like drawings of hand
> symbols…Can a child, say age 8, write the symbols by hand? I am not
> talking about fast writing…not shorthand…but just easily writing the
> square for the fist, or the rectangle for the flat hand, so that
> others can read it clearly, without having to be an artist drawing
> life-like illustrations?
>
> Because not everyone is an artist…and even people like myself, who
> cannot draw well, can write a square and a rectangle and some other lines…
I agree with you.
I was teaching some new people who to write signwriting and once I
explainted the square with a few fingers and showed them some examples,
they were able to write it out neatly for themselves without too much
trouble because the symbols are simple enough.  But I believe it
would've been much more challenging if we had tried to draw the hands
lift like.

Jonathan

> [...]
>> etc.... and I learned a lot from your lesson about the Rootshapes and
>> Action Fingers...
>> http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs7/sw0646_Constructing_New_SignWriting_Hand_Symbols_2011.pdf
>> From time to time there is a new episode here in Germany that someone
>> who gets in contact with SignWriting develops some ideas about how to
>> improve the visual concepts of the symbols that are to be found in
>> the SymbolSet of the actual SignPuddle –
>> Well if it comes to brush up the design and to polish every single
>> symbol so that the lines are of equal width ... I do not have any
>> problem with that. Some of you are familiar with my TT-Font designs
>> on my greeting cards ..and ... materials ..for my classroom
>> Attached you find an example of artwork for myMathematics Education (1 time 7) –smile
>> . I am not talking about this kind of design.
>> I am interested in your feedback. Are there other experienced
>> SignWriting-scribes and readers among you who look at the design of
>> the hand symbols as they are used now and who would whish to change
>> that in order to achieve a more visual / more naturalistic looking
>> symbol compared to a drawn hand?
>> Does anybody believe that part of the reason why it takes time to
>> encourage/convince more teachers of deaf students and more deaf
>> signlanguage instructors to use SignWriting within their classes is
>> connected to the design of the actual used series of symbols?  So in
>> the end a more naturalistic looking symbolset would attract more deaf
>> signlanguage instructors?
>> Well I remember my printouts of the SignWriter DOS programm at large
>> seize  1999... compared to the TT-font that are possible today with
>> SignPuddle and the delegs Editor if you expand the Pdf –document what
>> an amazing achievement!
>> Does it happen in your  country as well that new designers show up
>> and present new sets of symbol-designs that might hurt rules and
>> conventions we agree upon for years? Would it make sense to present
>> two different designs of a given hand to people who are not familiar
>> with SignWriting and ask for their preference?
>> I would appreciate very much if many of you and especially of the
>> SignPuddle dictionary editors could give – even short – comments on
>> this topic.
>> If you are interested I would be able to present some of these “new
>> designed symbols” so that we could discuss the pros and cons in the
>> context of special examples ...
>> Take care and good luck with all your different projects
>> All best
>> Stefan
>>
>> Valerie Sutton SignWriting List [log in to unmask]
>> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>>
>> Post Messages to the SignWriting
>> List:[log in to unmask]
>> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>>
>> SignWriting List Archives & Home
>> Pagehttp://www.signwriting.org/forums/swlist
>>
>> Join, Leave or Change How You Receive SW List

Cel Honduras: (504)3141-1171
Tel USA: (347)875-8442
Skype: yojoduncan