Dear James,
thanks for your very detailed answer, by "users" I include individuals from
category one and two, i.e.

1)  SW - actively use it
2)  SW - actively used it in school, but no longer do

I agree with your vision, one educational administrator with a vision could
really change things. I'm not fully aware of the educational situation here
in Italy, but I have the feeling that it's the same for us too.

Thank!