See comments below
On 11/14/2014 10:22 PM, André L wrote:
> Hello all,
> SignWriting editors, this is my analysis about keyboard
> development.  Several virtual keyboards are displayed on the monitor
> and the user types the corresponding key or click the virtual keyboard...
> André Lemyre
>

> *Multi-layers of virtual keyboards*
>

> A key triggers several keyboards (the user preference default is kept
> at launch) that are displayed on the monitor.The user sees which keys
> should be pressed on the physical keyboard (or clicked on the screen)

I like the idea of a default keyboard of the user's preference.

> If we want new people (and children) to adopt SignWriting we need the
> following user friendly keyboards:
>

> ·Beginner with hand pictures on keys and in a viewer.A virtual
> keyboard is displayed in the monitor. Each virtual key contains a
> picture of the handshape, the SignWriting symbols and the physical key
> equivalent (as a short cut).

Display which keys pressed will do what was in the original idea but you
explained it better I may not have mentioned it.

> ·A template generic sign has elements that can be clicked on to open a
> contextual menu to edit symbols.A complete body is displayed in grey
> with movement and contact symbols.Clicking on a symbol enables it in
> black.This is faster that opening longs scroll menus.Click on de left
> hand to change is shape, open fingers, flip the hand… Click on the eye
> and the face is also displayed, click on an arrow and modify it.

This is a good idea and is similar to the SWIFT project.

> ·Smiley mode gives access to non-manual symbols ( O for face, U for
> mouth, m eyes, c for ear half circle, l for a nose, - for shoulder,=
> for hip shoulder,punctuation is supported as in SignWriting,;-)>-(…

I will explore this further when I get to doing the keyboard layouts.

> ·Stylus drawing mode (the user draws symbols, never replaced with
> SignWriting font).With this simple mode, we support hand writing
> communication: fast and easy to program and to use.
>

> ·Stylus drawing input (the user draws symbols, they may be converted
> immediately, never or later in SignWriting).When the sign is drawn,
> full auto-completion and symbol editing is available.With this user
> friendly hand writing mode, we generate high quality SignWriting.

Stylus would be fun to have.  Maybe in version 2 or 3.

> ·Scholars already have they own notation to describe signs.They may
> not have time to learn signWriting.If we give them a keyboard
> interface adapted to their system they may use it.Stokoe keyboard as
> input for SignWriting text or any other scholars’ symbol set in a
> given country.This keyboard may write in their system as an output and
> in SignWriting as an output.Giving them an editor for their need may
> be a way to spread our signwriting output.
>

> We need tools allowing to write 20 pages texts with no effort as fast
> as possible.We need high performance keyboards:
>

> ·Stylus drawing input (same as above) The stylus mode with immediate
> conversion in SignWriting with auto-completion
>

> ·GLOSS mode with auto-completion based on dictionary

This could speed things up. If the sign already exists with the symbols
placed where you want them, why write it again from scratch?  Maybe in
version 2 of the keyboard.

> ·Most used hand configurations in the user sign language
>

> ·The complete hand configurations set in the user sign language
>

> Teacher will have specific keyboards for their needs:
>

> ·Finger spelling keyboard
>

> ·Dactylo mode for text insertion.

Could explore this in version 2 but other programs like SignPuddle and
SignWriter Studio don't support this kind of a feature.

> ·LipWriting mode
>

> ·MouthWriting mode (informal entry)
>

> ·MouthWriting mode (pure phonetic entry)

So these would be like finger spelling but for the mouth?

> The current editing software remain the most complete now.They can be
> mapped to international keyboards:
>

> ·The complete hand configurations set for all sign languages
>

> ·Traditional editors allowing hand shape creation that can be added to
> the keyboard
>

> *Auto-completion features may be as follows*
>

> There is a toggle for sign writing auto-completion .
>

> We aim 3 steps per symbols and we allow combined keys.

But even with 3 steps the keys have to go in the right order. If we
combine more than one key then we don't know which comes first.  I don't
see how this would work.  Do you have an idea of an example?

> We aim 7 steps per word by using auto-completion.
>

> A sign “spell check” based on auto-completion finds symbols that are
> not in the dictionary and suggests adding new entries to dictionary.
>

> When the text is saved, a review dictionary mode should allow
> verifying new symbols before making them personal signs and even official.
>

> Auto-completion starts by suggesting previously used symbols in the
> same text.Then it searches the dictionary for other signs with the
> same handshape and contact symbols.These 3 concept should suffice to
> narrow the search.
>

> *Formatting:*
>

> A button allows setting the symbol colors.
>

> A double click on a symbol allows altering the symbol with by
> displaying the corresponding virtual keyboard: hand shape, movement,
> contact, face, speech writing …

Yes getting a keyboard layout for a symbol can be useful.  I have
something similar in SignWriter Studio.

> A save button
>

> Up, down, left, right arrows can be matched with symbol displacement.
>

> Touch screen, mouse and stylus allow dragging symbols.
>

> Key combinations are available (Example: a, ALT-A, Shift-A, CTRL-A,
> Caps lock…)
>

> Keys F1 to F12 could be matched with 10 symbols hand shapes categories
>

> Numeric keyboard 1 to 9 and 0 representing 10 could be matched with
> MouthWriting mode (phonetic)
>

> Up, down, left, right arrows can be matched with hand, shoulder and
> eyes direction movement.
>

> *Automated sign composition based on a flow diagram*
>

> By default, the first entry is a right hand shape in the right lane.
> The second entry is a contact symbol (if any) at the right bottom.The
> third entry is the left hand symbol (if any) with defaultto the same
> hand shape and orientation as the right hand in the left lane.

I would need an example to understand what you mean here.

Jonathan