SignWriting List
December 16, 2014

Referring to the attached diagram…A - F

A. represents the movement of tilting your head so your nose is at a slant…but it is the MOVEMENT of moving into that tilted position, so it is the movement of tilting - you are still looking straight front but tilting the ear over to one side

B. This is a Face Direction Line showing the static position of the nose directed at a tilt but also the nose is directed up too - so it is an upward tilted position

C. This is a movement of the nose going in the direction of the arc finishing at the arrowhead.

D. this is the MOVEMENT of titling back and forth - the face remains looking forward but the head tilts at the ears back and forth side to side

E. this is a MOVEMENT of TILT-TILT to one side - a double movement

F. This is a static position - it is a Face Direction Line, showing the direction of the nose, looking down and over to one side

As far as writing the position in the picture - F is actually pretty close except it should be flopped because we are writing Expressive so from our own point of view, the person is looking over her right shoulder…

The person in the picture is not tilting, because a tilt is still looking front. She has turned her nose to the right and then down so F is a good one for that..

Another issue is eyegaze - sometimes writing eyegaze says a lot to give the feeling of a sign -

Val ;-)

PS. Nice illustration ;-)

-------