SignWriting For Sign Languages has shared a video with you on YouTube:

    Expressive and Receptive from the Deaf Perspective
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRpL1sro6UU&feature=em-share_video_user

        QUESTIONS ABOUT RECEPTIVE AND EXPRESSIVE WRITING
by Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway, Oberlin College

ANSWERED IN ASL
by Deaf ASL teacher and linguist, Adam Frost

ERIKA’S QUESTION 1:
I understand that the original shift from receptive to expressive writing had to do at least in part with Deaf users’ political resistance to being treated as objects of study. Do you feel that adopting an expressive writing perspective has succeeded in making Deaf writers more clearly marked as subjects, rather than research objects?

ERIKA’S QUESTION 2:
In the instructional materials and in other discussions I’ve seen of the shift to expressive writing, I’ve heard it described as “seeing through your own face” or “signing from your own perspective”.

 That usefully characterizes what it’s like to write expressively. However, I’ve rarely heard people discuss the impact this has on reading “through someone else’s face” or “from someone else’s (spatial) perspective”.

 How do you feel this affects ...