April 20, 2015

> On Apr 20, 2015, at 3:40 AM, Charles Butler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Going to the dictionary for ASL, I don't see any order in the left-hand column. How in the world is one to order a dictionary if the index itself is random? It may, possibly, be based on the order of entry into the dictionary, but that would be like house numbers being assigned on the order the neighborhood houses were built.

Hello Charles and everyone -
Thank you for mentioning the sorting of the dictionaries in SignMaker 2015.

The signs are sorted by the sign-symbol order of the ISWA 2010 - in other words - by ISWA alphabetical order. So the first signs that show up in the dictionary are the Index Finger hand symbol, with the palm facing the body, since that is the first symbol in the order of the ISWA. See attached screen capture.

So the sorting is not random at all - it is based on the SignSpelling Sequence and the alphabetical order of the ISWA 2010.

Also notice that Steve just added a new feature. You will need to refresh your browser to see the new feature.

Now, if you pass your mouse over the signs, it gives you the spoken language gloss - the meaning - of each sign -

See picture attached: