Thanks Valerie! It's not so much that I want to develop an efficient or QWERTY keyboard, just that I was curious whether Yair started from one of those principles. :)
Like you, I've used differently arranged keyboards in different countries and I imagine it's mostly a matter of developing habits that make typing efficient.