Hi SignWriting list,

Working on SignPuddle 3, I created something really cool I'd like to share.

Using standard HTML and CSS, I have improved the vertical writing mode
for SignWriting in the modern browser.

http://codepen.io/Slevinski/pen/zqGNqz?editors=1100

This is a combination of TrueType fonts, SVG, HTML, and CSS all working
together to create text that reflows and handles spacing properly.

One of the biggest challenges for SignWriting with computers is that the
text does not have a standard size.  This creates spacing issues that
standard HTML and CSS were not designed to handle.  Luckily, it is
possible to use a variety of strategies to implement SignWriting in the
browser.

The above example uses a series of span elements and borders to achieve
the lane and column divisions.  The line-height for each column is
adjusted automatically based on the individual signs that appear in each
column.  If the page size is changes or zoomed, each column width will
adjust accordingly.  For the individual signs, the spacing is set on the
left with "margin-right: {#}px" and the spacing is set on the right with
"border-left: {#}px solid transparent".

I've checked all modern browsers on Windows, Mac, and Linux and this
strategy works.  Very exciting.

Regards,
-Steve